Since manufacturers and big business have hijacked Christmas, making it all about toys, electronic shavers, and smelly perfumes...
And since the same have also hijacked Easter, making it all about marshmallow chicks, chocolate bunnies, and 1/2 off Easter dresses...
Why don't we get them back?
Friday is Valentine's Day. It's THE commercial holiday. Candy. Flowers. Cards with Snoopy on them. Expensive bottles of wine. Fancy jewelry. It's, in part, a holiday that can easily become all about things, stuff, money, and merchandise.
This Valentine's Day don't let it happen. Instead, let's hijack this holiday for Jesus.
What do I mean?
The Bible describes for us how real love isn't found in paper cards or in the third mystery chocolate. (No...wait, that's coconut.) Real love is found in the sacrificial death of our Savior Christ Jesus: "Greater love has no one than this: that one lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
Make Valentine's Day about His love. Hijack the Holiday!
Pass on God's love with a message in your cards.
- Sing "Jesus Loves Me" with your child.
- Listen to some love songs and change Pandora to the "In Christ Alone" station.
- Read the best romance novel ever -- the Gospel of John!
- Tell a friend the story of Jesus' love.
- Make Valentine's cookies in the shape of love -- a cross!
- Tell someone that you love them (and that Jesus does too.)
- Give your spouse a great gift -- a plan for reading a 5 minute devotion with them each night.
- Call all those who love you (and don't forget to talk to the One who loves you most!)
- Extend this day of love all the way to Sunday -- when you come hear about Him at church.
In other words -- dwell in God's love and share God's love! Do this and I know we'll be on our way to accomplishing our goal.
Let's hijack Valentine's Day for Jesus.